Here’s how to let people know you can’t respond right away:
- Sign in to Gmail.
- Click the gear icon in the upper-right and select Gmail settings along the top of any Gmail page.
- From the General tab, select Vacation responder on in the Vacation responder: section.
- Enter the subject and body of your message in the Subject: and Message:fields.
- If you’ve enabled a personalized signature in your settings, Gmail will automatically append it to the bottom of your vacation response.
- Check the box next to Only send a response to people in my Contacts if you don’t want everyone who emails you to know that you’re away from your mail.
- Click Save Changes.
While the vacation responder is enabled, you’ll see a banner across the top of any Gmail page, displaying the subject of your vacation response. To stop Gmail from automatically sending the response, click end now within the banner. Or, if you’d like to edit the response, click vacation settings.
- Keep in mind that your vacation response will start over each time you edit it — if someone receives your initial vacation response, and then emails you again after you’ve edited the subject or body of the message, he or she will receive the edited response, too.
Messages classified as spam and messages addressed to a mailing list you subscribe to will not receive a vacation response.
How To Setup Gmail Vacation Auto responder Messages Via Gmail App
- Setting up a vacation message via the phone app for Gmail is as simple as it is for a desktop.
- Fire up your Gmail app and go to settings which can be found at the bottom of the menu accessible from the top left.
- Select the account you want to set the auto-responder for and find ‘Vacation Responder’ in the next window.
- Toggle the button on to fill in the details including the first and last day, what the auto-response mail’s subject line should read and the main message body.
- You’ll find an option to send auto-responses to only the people in your contact list which can be enabled by checking the box. Same can be done for your organisation too.
- Select ‘Done’ to start the auto responder.
How To Setup Gmail Vacation auto responder messages via desktop
- Login to your Gmail account and access settings from the drop-down menu shown after clicking the ‘Gear’ icon near the top-right hand side of the screen.
- Select the General tab in the settings menu and scroll down to the bottom where you’ll find the ‘Vacation responder’.
- Click on the ‘Vacation responder on’ option and then start entering the details which include the first and last day, what the auto-response mail’s subject line should read and the main message body.
- Select ‘Save Changes’ to start the auto responder.
- You can also select if you only want the auto-responder to reply to people in your contact list by checking the box below the message body.